LibrarIoh's Bitmap Font Renderer for Unity
A downloadable Unity Plugin
Some of the more recent games have dialogue and other sections with fancy text, even including animations.
The text gets all wiggly when the character is cold, scared, or crazy.
Then the text gets all wavy when the character's speech is flowery, happy or even sarcastic.
And there's a whole myriad of other effects, such as the text changing color to highlight names and other sections of interest, going faster or slower... All that helps to convey character, emotion and pacing during dialogue.
Have you ever wanted to use that in your Unity game/application? Well, so have I, which is why I made this little plugin! You've come to the right place!
LibrarIoh's Bitmap Font Renderer for Unity was made from the ground up to be simple to use but powerful. It features an editor that you can include in your projects, or you can make a custom tailored solution using the library on its own.
- Uses the most recent Unity UI to render bitmap fonts generated by the free AngelCode's Bitmap Font Generator in XML format (*.fnt).
- Includes a built-in editor (which you can edit or extend at will) that allows you to change all relevant settings easily, including:
- The font to use;
- The text's horizontal (Left, Center, Right) and vertical (Top, Center, Bottom) alignment;
- The text's default speed and color;
- Adding a sound file to play when a character is rendered;
- The ability to preview how the text will look directly in the editor;
- Change how the text renders and behaves using tokens, which can:
- Alter the speed and flow at which the text is displayed;
- Alter the color of a portion of the text;
- Add text based on values from variables that get pulled from your project's data and get replaced in the text at runtime;
- Add effects, such as wavy or wiggly text;
- A Unity Package that you can import into your projects, and it includes all the files, example scenes and code;
- A DLL library file, in case you don't want the examples and just want the library to integrate into your own code;
- A PDF of the User's Manual.
Other Technical Aspects
The plugin should be compatible with any version that uses the most recent Unity UI (from 4.6 onwards), but I've only tested it in versions 5.0 onwards.
It is considered complete but may receive updates with new features, and fixes if any errors or bugs are discovered.
In order to download this Unity Plugin you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $10 USD. You will get access to the following files: